Monthly Archives:June 2019

Counsellor loses WA child sex abuse appeal ( admin posted on June 29th, 2019 )

Victims Rob McAuley and Gui Williams say they’re delighted their abuser will stay behind bars.A former youth counsellor jailed for sexually abusing seven troubled boys in his care almost 30 years ago in Western Australia has lost an appeal against his conviction.
南京夜网

Allan Keith Huggins was found guilty of 16 offences committed when he was an education officer at the Warminda school-to-work program in 1990 and 1991.

In 2015, he was sentenced in the WA District Court to nine years and three months behind bars.

Huggins took his case to the WA Court of Appeal, arguing there had been a miscarriage of justice but the matter was thrown out on Friday.

He appeared in court via video link and sat quietly as the judgment was handed down within a few minutes.

Victim Rob McAuley said he was “over the moon” with the result.

“It was a lot quicker than I thought it would be,” he told AAP outside court.

Gui Williams said he was still disappointed with the length of the sentence.

“Pedophiles can get off so lightly.”

But Mr Williams said he was glad his abuser was locked up for some time.

“He’s got four walls around him? What have I got and what has Rob got? Our freedom,” he said.

“As soon as I gave my evidence, I felt a lot more at ease … I’m glad today is a really awesome outcome.”

Huggins had presented eight grounds of appeal with “wide-ranging complaints” but was only granted leave to appeal on one about three offences related to one victim.

He claimed documents showed the boy never attended the program but his lawyer failed to tender or make proper use of the documents.

“The verdicts of guilty are not unreasonable. They are supported by evidence that the jury was entitled to accept,” the judges found.

Australian Associated Press

COMMENTS: Comments Closed

Categories: 南京夜网

No shark fears for new man-made surf comp ( admin posted on June 29th, 2019 )

Stephanie Gilmore will lead a strong Australian team on a man-made wave in California this weekend.Shark fears among the world’s best surfers will be momentarily put to rest over the weekend when they lock horns on what’s been dubbed the “best man-made wave in history”.
南京夜网

The recent Margaret River Pro in Western Australia was sensationally abandoned midway through after two nearby shark attacks.

Surfers were spooked by the attacks, with 2014 world champion Gabriel Medina even contemplating not returning to Margaret River next year.

But there will be no such worries this weekend at the WSL Surf Ranch in California, which produces a 640 metre, bi-directional, man-made wave featuring barrel and manoeuvre sections.

The facility has used the help of 11-time world champion Kelly Slater to fine tune the technology to produce a stunning artificial wave.

Now, the world’s best surfers will get to have their turn on it when they compete in the inaugural Founders’ Cup of Surfing.

Crowds of about 5000 people are expected to watch the USA, Brazil, Australia, Europe, and World teams battle it out on what the WSL claims is the “best man-made wave in history”.

Slater will return from a foot injury to captain team America in the two-day event.

Stephanie Gilmore will skipper a strong Australian outfit featuring Mick Fanning, Joel Parkinson, Tyler Wright, and Matt Wilkinson.

HOW IT WORKS

*Five teams of five athletes. Three men, two women per team.

*Each athlete surfs six waves (three left, three right) during the qualifying round. Each wave scored out of 10.

*Each athlete’s top-scoring left and top-scoring right will contribute to the Team Total (maximum score of 100).

*Top three scoring teams out of the five qualify for the Final.

TEAMS Australia: Stephanie Gilmore, Mick Fanning, Joel Parkinson, Tyler Wright, Matt Wilkinson.

Brazil: Gabriel Medina, Filipe Toledo, Adriano de Souza, Silvana Lima, Tiana Hinckel.

Europe: Jeremy Flores, Frederico Morais, Leonardo Fioravanti, Frankie Harrer, Johanne Defay.

US: Kelly Slater, John John Florence, Carissa Moore, Lakey Peterson, Kolohe Andino

World: Jordy Smith (RSA), Bianca Buitendag (RSA), Michel Bourez (FRA), Kanoa Igarashi (JPN), Paige Hareb (NZL).

Australian Associated Press

COMMENTS: Comments Closed

Categories: 南京夜网

Family ‘destroyed’ by woman’s murder ( admin posted on June 29th, 2019 )

Kirralee Paepaerei was pregnant when murdered in 2015.When Kylee D’Ugo’s phone rang early on the morning of September 22, 2015 she thought one of her sisters was calling to wish her happy birthday.
南京夜网

Instead, she was told her heavily pregnant sister, Kirralee Paepaerei, was dead.

Ms D’Ugo broke down as she read out her victim impact statement in the NSW Supreme Court on Friday during a sentence hearing for her sibling’s murderer.

Joshua Homann, 40, was found guilty in March, having stabbed his 37-year-old partner nearly 50 times at their western Sydney townhouse. The attack also resulted in the death of their unborn child.

Ms D’Ugo said the telephone call changed her life forever.

“Not only was my sister gone but my (unborn) niece was gone as well,” she said.

“The pain I feel, the emptiness I have inside, that will never go away.”

Ms D’Ugo said Ms Paepaerei was not just her sister but her best friend and advisor whose “infectious laugh” could brighten a person’s day.

She said she would never forgive Homann.

“You have destroyed me and my family beyond repair.”

While Homann had not denied causing his partner’s death, his lawyer had told the jurors the case was about mental illness, rather than domestic violence or drug use.

He sat with head bowed as victim impact statements from eight family members were read out on Friday.

Ms Paepaerei’s mother, Joyce D’Ugo, said hating Homann since her daughter’s death had been “draining her life”.

However she said hearing him lie during his trial had released that hate.

“I realised you are not worth the energy to hate you,” she said.

The distraught mother, wearing a shirt with a picture of Ms Paepaeri on it, said her daughter had been her “strength in life” and had a “heart of gold”.

“Kirralee was so loved,” she said.

Homann will be sentenced on May 25.

National domestic violence helpline: 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT. In an emergency call triple zero.

Australian Associated Press

COMMENTS: Comments Closed

Categories: 南京夜网

A season to remember and a night to savour ( admin posted on June 29th, 2019 )

Jets captain Nigel Boogaard. Picture: Max Mason-HubersREGARDLESS of the result of Saturday’sA-League final, the Newcastle Jets have done the city and the entire Hunter region proud with their efforts on and off the field in 2017-18.
南京夜网

The season has been a gripping one from start to finish.

A thumping first round win over arch-rivals the Central Coast Mariners was an early omen but after two wooden spoons in three years, nobody was getting ahead of themselves.

Even as the season progressed, with the Jets established in a clear second place, there was a feeling that it was all too good to be true, that somehow, against the odds, the wheels would fall off again as they had in previous years.

That nagging worry evaporated after the club’s season-defining victory against Sydney FC on March 3. Even after that win, most football pundits had already written the sky blues into the season decider, but as the Sydneysiders’ loss to Melbourne Victory showed last weekend, there are no certainties in football.

That loss has handed Newcastle an unexpected home final, and all of the advantages that comewith it.

It might be standard A-League procedure to award the final to the highest-ranking team, but there will always be pressure to play the match in either Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, and the A-League is to be congratulated for allowing itto stay at McDonald Jones Stadium.

That decision means the eyes of the footballing world will be on Newcastle on Saturday night: hence theplea from Newcastle City Council chief executive Jeremy Bath for supporters to be on their best behaviour.

It also means that the FFA has confidence in Newcastle’s ability tohost such a high-profile event, a confidence buttressed by itssuccess as one of five host cities for the 2015 Asian Cup, and as the venue forSeptember’s Matildas win over Brazil.

And it’s not only the football world watching Newcastle. The lead-up to the final has given the regiona solid dose of national media attention this week –a rare opportunity to promote our city on a wider stage.

Hopefully, the Jets will defeat their Victorian opponents, and the focus will stay on the city for a little longer.

Even if (heaven help) the result does not go our way, everyone involved with the Jets can hold their heads high as having achieved far more than even the truest of true believers could have reasonably expected.

And with most of the team signed on for next year, tonight could be just the beginning.

ISSUE: 38,791.

COMMENTS: Comments Closed

Categories: 南京夜网

What to expect from the first episode of Picnic at Hanging Rock ( admin posted on June 29th, 2019 )

Ruby Rees, Samara Weaving, Madeleine Madden and Lily Sullivan in Picnic at Hanging Rock. Photo: ShowcaseYOUR Sunday night television plans are sorted.
南京夜网

The new six-part drama series Picnic at Hanging Rock, re-imagined from Joan Lindsey’s 1967 novel of the same name, screensat8.30pmon Foxtel’s Showcase channel.

Shot on location at Hanging Rock and other sites in Victoria, the series will also feature on Amazon Prime in the US andthe BBC in Britain as well as being screened in France and New Zealand.

It is also available toFoxtel On Demand subscribers and will stream on Foxtel Now.

From the outset of the first episode, it is clear the stunning imagery and cinematography will be as impressive as the cast’s performances.

Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones) stars as Mrs Appleyard in the drama series Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Game of Thrones star Natalie Dormer plays Mrs Appleyard, the head of an elite ladies boarding school.

We meet her as she prepares herself to start a new life far from England in remote regional Victoria.

Events of the first episode focus on the lead up to the mysterious disappearance of schoolgirls Miranda (Lily Sullivan), Marion (Madeleine Madden) and Irma (Samara Weaving) at Hanging Rock on February 14, 1900.

With six hours to tell the story as opposed to the two hours Peter Weir took in his 1975 adaptation, Foxtel’s new drama will have plenty of scope to develop the characters and let audiences understand and bond with them before the series finale.

Scenes at Hanging Rock and surrounding areas were filmed over two weeks in 2017.

Picnic At Hanging Rock | Valentine’s Day Tease | showcase on FoxtelFoxtel’s executive director of television Brian Walsh said Picnic at Hanging Rock contiues to fascinate people worldwide.

“The reaction we have received from broadcasters and video platforms in many countries is an enormous boost of confidence for our local industry and paves the way for the Australian film and television community to take its skills and expertise to audiences around the globe,” he said.

“It is a watershed moment for the talented creatives involved and testament to Foxtel’s unwavering commitment to Australian storytelling.”

Read more: Picnic at Hanging Rock in Clunes

Macedon Ranges Shire Councilcommunity wellbeing directorKaren Stevens said it was exciting to see Picnic at Hanging Rock told to a new generation.

“The original film and book brought attention to the area and brought in many visitors and it’s good to see this much loved story brought to a new generation,” she said.

“Crews spent around 10 days filming at the Rock and also filmed at Sanitorium Lake at Mount Macedon Regional Park.”

“We anticipate that the mini-series will inspire even more people to visit Hanging Rock and the broader region and look forward to welcoming people to our area.”

Ms Stevens said every precaution was taken by everyone involved to ensure filming did not affect local flora and fauna.

“Filming was guided and supervised by council to ensure it did not impact on the environment of the reserve,” she said.

We ensured the filming conformed to environmental and other requirements and the Rock remained open to visitors, who were still able to access it.”

Bendigo Advertiser

COMMENTS: Comments Closed

Categories: 南京夜网

top